Update // The Art of Crafting a Year - Hello 2018

Back in January 2015, I wrote a pretty extensive blog post about my planning process that you can read HERE. I had been asked for years to document it, but I did not....because frankly it is a work-in-process (much like it's author). Of course, no sooner had I finally pushed that post out, I wanted to delete it - worried it was incomplete or too much. Since then, I have taught others from it, spoke on the topic, and continued to tweak my own process. It still feels incomplete and undone, but I am pushing through to write an update here and share. I believe I have learned a lot over the past three years since that original post; I guess you could say I have new words on the subject I want to share.
 

So....without further ado...

Planning is an art, not a science. I promise. If you are not looking at is as something you study faithfully and then make your own, you are going to fail before you start. We are all hot-wired differently and to try and all follow the same exact process is an act of futility. Case in point, my business partner has a once in a generation mind, but he couldn't follow my planning process if his life depended on it (and lets be clear, sometimes it has...;) because I thought I would kill him for not being prepared for this or that). I have learned over five years to let him find his own way (also called a lesson in patience #blessme). So, I BEG you dear reader to read this, click and read the links I am imbedding throughout, and then sit down with water/coffee/wine/etc., and take the time to figure out what your optimum planning process looks like. Don't be a child (like I myself often am) and just throw your hands up; do the work. It is worth it; I promise.
 
In the past, I have been ALL about finding a quiet place to start, but this year I got a little excited (like my niece's new puppy) and just dug in between meetings at the office. I squeezed in the tasks throughout the days, over dinner, and then curled up in bed before going to sleep. Yesterday, I knocked out the next to last - really the hardest part when you start pulling it all together (hence the link above to my detailed post), and then today I am making sure I have everything in my new 2018 planner. It is a WHOLE THING I can tell you that.
 
 
Here are things I have added:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
These are the big changes, and I would add that one thing I am committed to this year is looking at this planner every single day, even if just for a couple of minutes. I invest a lot of time in prepping for the year and too often in the past, I sit my planner aside and get consumed in the hustle and bustle of the year. The whole point of doing all of this is to use it as a guide ALL year, EVERY day. Not hit it and quit it. I challenge you to do the same. Get one that is small enough (or big enough) to carry in your purse or briefcase. Keep it with you (like your cell phone or wallet). There is solid gold material in there - treat it as such.
 
Now...go find a place to sit and dream for a spell.
 
Wishing each and every one of you a wonderful new year.
 
Here is to 2018.
 
 

Labels: , , , ,