Workspace Obsessed

modern anthology, brooklyn, ny

Is anyone else out there a complete nerd about their workspace(s)?  Well, I am. :)

I have had many different cubicles, offices, workspaces, desks, etc. over the years.  Heck...I even built a "workshop" in the middle of a holler because of my obsession with them.  I have never, ever quite got my "spaces" the way that I wanted them.  Either I didn't have the time, the money, the "space" (pun fully intended), or the creative control...due to it not being really "mine" or the industry I worked in required a certain decorum (so to speak).  I never lost hope though, and a couple of years ago I created a board on Pinterest to collect ideas supporting my obsession (one of my pins is above).  So now as I settle into yet another new office....I have decided it might just be the right time to do it..."just the way I like it" to quote Mama Doretha. 

The thing is that I am going to be wearing a lot of different hats in this new space, multiple roles, and to some extent multiple career tracts.  For the first time in my life/career, I am going to be allowed to work multiple sides of my personality from the book nerd to the creative genius (I use that term loosely).  So as selfish as doing it "just the way I like it" sounds...it is also necessary as I need to be able to really "spread my wings" so to speak. :)

I can't even begin to describe how weird it feels to be able to do this...I got close in the office I designed at my workshop, but now I hope to flesh out those ideas and create something really special in this new space.  Of course, it isn't 800' in the bottom of a holler with a killer view of creeks and wildlife, but it will have its own unique amenities...like humans roaming around. :)))

I know this seems like the strangest of topics, but you have to understand...I am at a strange point in my life. This is going to be one challenging, strange year...I can just feel it.  Picture the film Mary Poppins right as she is entering the picture..blowing in (so to speak)....everyone feels something in the air...

I digress. :)))

So as I take a moment to dream a little, I am thinking I might show pictures of it someday on this blog, if I ever get it "just right"...we'll see.  Right now it is a pretty blank canvas...but my two very cool desk/tables arrived today...and they have gotten me a little giddy. Clearly. ;)  It could also be the overwhelming polyurethane smell emanating from them. ;)

I guess the lesson from today is that it is important for each of us to carve out our own special space in our lives for us to simply be ourselves...an individual.  For some of us it is a space at home, or at the office, a barn, a garage, a fishing hole, or even in a holler somewhere.  Wherever it is for you, be sure that you are making room for yourself somewhere.  As I have often written about, you can either live your life as a canal (quickly filled and then emptied) or as a reservoir (full and giving only of your excess). I believe carving out space for yourself, as well as time, is important.  Lessons I have learned the hard way. 

I cannot say yes to this enough...Keira in Africa by Arthur Elgort for Vogue.

If I had two lives, I would live the above the second time around...as a National Geographic photojournalist.  Ahhhh.....Love. So. Very. Much. :)))

I'm glad for dreams...new and old.  I am glad to have the opportunity to live them.  Every. Day. :)))

Sunshine Dreams to You ~ Today and Every Day! :)