The Ongoing Saga of Mary & Martha

This morning I was sitting next to three women who were verbally dismantling, systematically, a fellow "friend" for her decisions on how to be a mother. Be. Be...a mother.  It didn't take me long to ascertain that one of the women was indeed herself a mother. I know I am naive, but is this really happening...mothers bashing mothers? Really?

Pinned Image

I happened to be writing at the time, and I found myself suddenly doodling in my notebook about Mary and Martha.  The saga of Mary and Martha is probably one of the most widely known stories of the gospels...and probably the least understood. Self included.  I wondered for a second if one of the (many) reasons that particular story is included in the Bible is to illustrate for women (and men) a potential downfall in our very human nature.  Hmmm....

I don't know about you, but if I had Jesus in front of me...the last thing I would be worrying about would be dishes or others or anything.  I mean...it is Jesus for goodness sake!

But isn't that story just like women...just like sisters...just like us?  It so is...there sits Jesus and there we sit jockeying for position...showing off...whining...worrying....being...human. *Sigh*

"You are sisters with every woman you meet. Don’t forget it." ~ Delia Ephron

I am doing a lot of professional writing about women lately, and I find that the more I write, read, study, and observe women...the more perturbed and puzzled I get.  We really, truly ARE our own worst enemies. 

Also, I say with great sadness, I am getting more perturbed and puzzeled at myself.  I am not only my own worst enemy, but I too am far too hard on fellow women...friends, family, strangers. *Sigh*

We absolutely MUST take a hard look at our actions, our words, our facial expressions, our very nature and ask am I building people/women up?...or am I tearing them down?

Pinned Image

The story of Mary and Martha is all over our workplaces...our schools...our relationships...our churches.  It is all over us.  Pause for a minute.  Yes, it is all over US...because women judge themselves...themselves...far harder than anyone male or female ever would or could. Ever. We really must work harder to break the cycle within ourselves and our communities.  The "war on women" isn't just a slogan for the media or politicians. The war on women is real...and we have only to look into our hearts to see it for ourselves. *Ouch*

My "Sunday Musings" today...Love more. Don't judge.  A lesson for me...a lesson for all of us.

"I want to live the rest of my life, however long or short, with as much sweetness as I can decently manage, loving all the people I love, and doing as much as I can of the work I still have to do. " ~ Audre Lorde
{my hope. my wish. my goal.}

Sunshine Dreams to You ~ Today and Every Day! :)