Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Who Turned Out The Light?

Who remembers this song from Sunday School...

THIS LITTLE LIGHT OF MINE
 This little light of mine
I'm going to let it shine
Oh, this little light of mine
I'm going to let it shine
Hallelujah
This little light of mine
I'm going to let it shine
Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine
Ev'ry where I go
I'm going to let it shine
Oh, ev'ry where I go
I'm going to let it shine
Hallelujah
Ev'ry where I go
I'm going to let it shine
Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine
All in my house
I'm going to let it shine
Oh, all in my house
I'm going to let it shine
Hallelujah
All in my house
I'm going to let it shine
Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine
I'm not going to make it shine
I'm just going to let it shine
I'm not going to make it shine
I'm just going to let it shine
Hallelujah
I'm not going to make it shine
I'm just going to let it shine
Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine
Out in the dark
I'm going to let it shine
Oh, out in the dark
I'm going to let it shine
Hallelujah
Out in the dark
I'm going to let it shine
Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine

Yes!  Right?!

So, I am driving to work this morning and it is literally pouring down rain.  One giant soggy mess.  As I drive, I am taking in the view, the hills...the rain is soaking everything and you can see the green really starting to come through.  There is this prairie grass that is a reddish orange and it is still everywhere (my hill friends have permission to laugh now since I have just shown that I have absolutely NO idea what that is really called). :)  The contrast of the pungent green with the red creates a dramatic and beautiful landscape. 

I started thinking of the burn ban and how it would be lifted now...no fire problem here now...

Hmmmm....

So if the ground is nourished (or soaked), then fire is not an issue because it would be snuffed out as soon as it got started (if it even could get started).

Hmmmm...

So if Jesus (the rain) is nourishing/flooding us (the ground) then Satan (fire) cannot get a stronghold in our lives.

Hmmmm...

Too much?! :)

I don't know if I care if it is...:)  This is the gift and curse of how my mind works sometimes. 

...and that leads me to this...

I am afraid sometimes of my own thoughts...my own voice.  For those that know me, I know it might be hard to believe, but I do not say even half of what I think.  Seriously.  That said, finding my voice, my true voice, has been a huge part of my own personal journey this past year.  It has been scary, exhilirating, sad, amazing, and on and on.  It has been quite the trek, and one that I know is not over.  I often joke that I am a work-in-process, and after a weekend where my 14 year old nephew and I quite literally shared a brain....I know that it is too often the whole truth. :)  (I love you Sam!)

Today I had another discussion with an amazing woman who is becoming an amazing friend (and fellow revolutionist...I fear :) ).  We discussed, as has become an ongoing topic, women's voices.  I am very, very interested in women's voices.  Especially since I, in fact, have one. :)  I am also very concerned about the state of all voices.  I believe that I have a responsibility to bring people's voices to the surface and out as part of my "real" job.  I want the people that work with me to let their voices be heard.  I hope that I am growing great people, not simply great bankers.  I know they have and are helping me grow...as a banker, as a woman, and as a person.  They have a very difficult job. :)

I wonder if we don't need to work harder to let our own "little light shine"...AND if God is in us, as well as all around us, isn't that in fact a universal goal?  I am just sayin'.

I want to be soaked.  I want to let my light shine...and yes, I mean that in all ways.

Who turned out my light?  Who turned out yours?

Probably the same person...the one in our mirrors. :)

I just tripped over this song tonight called On Top Of The World by Matthew Perryman Jones.  It is beautiful.  Amazingly beautiful.  It makes me sigh (and honestly...weep a little).

Sometimes I think I live my life like a hot air balloon...I spend a lot of time blowing a lot of hot air (I got it. I'm okay. It is fine. No, really...hurt me again.), floating around keeping it all going, and then there is the view.  I'm scared of letting go...letting go of the hot air, letting go of the security chords, letting go of the view, letting go.

Pinned Image


How many of us don't let our light shine because it would mean we would have to let something go first?

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim
Because it was grassy and wanted wear,
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I marked the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.  

Robert Frost (1874 - 1963)    

The Road Not Taken...Yet knowing how way leads on to way, I doubted if I should ever come back...

Letting go.

What is stopping you from the road less traveled?

Maybe it is time to turn on the light.

Maybe, just maybe, with the light...you can finally find your voice.

Sunshine Dreams to You ~ Today and Every Day! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment