Got Communication?

I am becoming, more and more, the #1 fan of Seth Godin.  He is concise, smart, and more often than not...dead on accurate...in his short, sweet blog posts and books.  I envy his succinctness. :)

Today he wrote another spot on post entitled Speechless.  I have included the link because my hope is that you will take the time to read it...for yourself, your family, your friends, your co-workers...for everyone and everywhere. 

Communication is the key...to nearly everything.  If you don't communicate well, whatever you are in from personal relationships to work, will suffer.  Sometimes they will even suffer an untimely death.


I am feeling a little frustrated at work right now.  I feel like I am having to repeat myself over and over about a number of different things.  I find it VERY frustrating.  Is the problem me?  Am I not communicating effectively? 

Also, I pride myself on an open door policy, and I expect, if not, demand feedback (as hard as that is sometimes).  If you are working to really create a culture where feedback is valued, you cannot simply give it lip service (as Godin describes), you must dig in and really listen...actively listen.  This takes time and it takes energy.  I take it seriously.  I don't simply make decisions; I labor over them.  I gather opinions.  I work for buy-in.  I then, and only then, make a decision. (Note...not all decisions allow for this kind of time, but when they do...it is a long yet healthy process.)  This process is EXHAUSTING. 

All of this...worth it.

Good communication takes work.

If you don't work at it...I mean really work...to build real communication in the relationships of your life.  You are not only shortchanging others; you are shortchanging yourself.

Communication is key.

Communication is also difficult...time-intensive....energy draining...but oh SO worth it.

Are you really communicating in your life?  Really?

Take a page from Seth...and Pollyanna...work at it...really work at it.  You will be glad you did. :)

Sunshine Dreams to You ~ Today and Every Day! :)