Day 25 ~ The Buffalo


I absolutely love the Buffalo (National River).

I am not alone.

That said, today I was reminded of how it can heal a person...body, mind...and spirit.

This past week has been rough...I have been worried, sick, stressed out, sleep deprived, and that was just Tuesday. :)  Just kidding...kinda'. :)

I slept most of today...I didn't mean to, but my body sensed a window of opportunity to collapse and it took it.  Late this afternoon, Wesley convinced me to go out on the Buffalo.  My mind and heart were willing, but my body was screaming no.  My mind and heart won. ;)

I bundled up in five layers, muck boots, my new running band for around my ears (thanks E!), and a ball cap.  I looked like a funky mummy. :) 

Now let me say that I have barely been able to breathe for days due to congestion, but as soon as we slipped out onto the Buffalo, I could suddenly breathe.  Don't laugh...I'm serious.  It was healing.  Those few hours on the Buffalo today were the first this week I did not feel like I had been hit by a bus.

My ancestors have always spoken about the Buffalo almost like a religion, and though I have always loved it...I don't know if I really understood what they meant until today.  The colors were magical, the water smooth, the sky blue....I saw a beautiful crane, and even an eagle.  Wow! :)



Today, the Buffalo allowed me to breathe (literally and figuratively), and for that I am tremendously grateful.  It led me home...to myself.

“When flowing water...meets with obstacles on its path, a blockage in its journey, it pauses. It increases in volume and strength, filling up in front of the obstacle and eventually spilling past it...

Do not turn and run, for there is nowhere worthwhile for you to go. Do not attempt to push ahead into the danger... emulate the example of the water: Pause and build up your strength until the obstacle no longer represents a blockage.”    ~ Thomas F. Cleary
 

I love the Buffalo...and as it was with my ancestors...it feels like home (because it is). :)

Sunshine Dreams to You ~ Today and Every Day! :)