Day 21 ~ Uncle Odale

I love my Great Uncle Odale.  In fact, for me, some of my best childhood memories are tied up in him, his place across the road from our farm, riding on his motorcycle with him, and tons of other thrilling childhood moments.

The most wonderful thing about my relationship with him is the fact that as an adult, I was able to come back into his life after so many years away, and that he (classic Uncle Odale) welcomed me back as if no time had passed.  I have had the beautiful opportunity over the last several years to run around the backroads with him, play games, eat with him at the senior center (and meet his friends there), and more than anything...I have had the precious opportunity to watch his budding courtship with Miss Rosemary.  In fact, I am convinced they have kept each other going after losing their spouses.  They are as sweet and cute as the pictures below appear...


These photos were taken about a year ago.  They are two peas in a pod, and that is no more obvious than when they can't see each other due to illness or weather.


I have learned a lot of lessons from Uncle Odale over the years, but none more profound than second chances and the meaning of true love. 

Today, it broke my heart that he is sick and Miss Rosemary is sick, and as a result they couldn't see each other or even talk.  In fact, I don't know what broke my heart more...the fact that they are both suffering physically...or that they are suffering from being apart. 

Today was a keen reminder that life is fragile, love is precious, and God is good.  I know that he has these two firmly in his grasp, and I am struggling to hold onto his love of them even as my heart is breaking. 

I love my Uncle Odale.  I love Miss Rosemary.  I love that two people...91 and 90 respectively have taught me so much about love. 

Sunshine Dreams to You ~ Today and Every Day! :)