How Much Can YOU Handle?

One of my co-workers has had a rough 2011.  More than three deaths in their family and two of those in the past 60 days.  There are some amazing things that have also happened in her life this year, but doesn't it really all begin and end with family?

Yes, yes it does.

In trying to console her today, and let me just say that I always feel helpless and stupid in these situations not quite knowing what to say...and worried that I am going to say and do the wrong thing.  Shouldn't there be a book for this?? 

I digress.

In trying to say the right thing today, I noted that God doesn't give us more than we can bear, but that doesn't stop us from questioning how much faith he has in us. :)

Of course, that got me to thinking....

What if we had as much faith in ourselves as God had in us?!?

How different would our choices be?  How different would our dreams be? 

This whole Pinterest thing has got me thinking...am I going to "pin" my life....build my "boards"...in lieu of living those pins and boards?  I am so troubled by it, that I started my 2012 Goal List today.  Now I do one every year, but in a year that I find myself documenting more and more of my life "out loud" as I FB, Twitter, LinkedIn, blog, write (with a new article for publishing I am now working on), speaking to groups, etc....I am on the computer and sedentary more than I have ever been in my LIFE. 

For this fast talking/fast walking girl...that can be scary.  Plus, I have a family history that has shown me that is NOT a good choice for me. 

I digress...Again. :)

The point is there is the amount you believe you can handle (your baseline so to speak), and then there is the amount that God believes you can handle.  More often than not, those amounts are dramatically different.  I don't know about you, but I am curious to know what God's amount for me REALLY is...I am also curious if it is the same amount 24/7/365 or does it vary day-by-day or hour-by-hour???

My challenge for myself and you is....not only to stretch yourself, but also to embrace the stretch.  When you feel you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and swing (as the saying goes), and squeal with delight while you are swinging.  Think of it this way, first you will enjoy it more...and second you might scare the crap out of anyone thinking of crossing you. :) :)

Is this an oversimplification?  Maybe, but this world is not for the faint of heart.  God knows that.  He has given you the toolbox and the tools to handle every problem....every situation...every day of your life. 

You may not know how much you can handle, but HE does.  So, as we all wind down the year and beginning planning for 2012, why don't we all commit to stretching ourselves in 2012 farther than even WE believe we can go.  For example, if you ran a 5K in 2011, how about going for the full marathon in 2012?  If you fit in one "real" vacation in 2011, how about making it two in 2012?  If you squeezed out an average of 30 minutes of true, honest "me" time a week in 2011...lets go for an hour next year!  The point is don't accept status quo from yourself.  Go for the brass ring next year.  What is the risk?  You fail?  You succeed? 

Either way...you surprise yourself and determine a new baseline for yourself which is further than you are today.  Progress.

How do you eat an elephant?

One bite at a time. :)

Let us be glad we have today to take another bite out of that elephant.  You are stronger and braver than you know...and yes, Winnie the Pooh is SO wise. :)

Sunshine Dreams to You ~ Today and Every Day! :)