The Accidental Chef :)

I am sick in bed.  For those wondering but afraid to ask, no I did not eat all of the sausage balls...at least not yet. It is a sinus/head cold kind of thing which results in a bellyache.  My head is killing me not to mention my neck ~ literally my head feels like it weighs 10 pounds.  All of this is important to my little story.  Well sorta. 

So, I finally pulled myself out of bed and took a shower.  I just knew that would help.  Not really, but it did convince me I needed to eat.  I suddenly had a craving for a cheeseburger.  Only me.  My little sister makes the best ~ burgers ~ EVER.  I frankly did not feel like (standing takes too much effort right now) digging for the recipe so I figured I would/could wing it.  The red warning lights started warming up just about then.  I found soy sauce, BBQ sauce and Worcestershire sauce, but not remembering which, if any, went in the mix...I added all three in a bowl.  By that I mean, I literally dumped them...no measuring spoons for me.  I then added a pound of hamburger meat, and I started to mix it together with my hands.

I am a clever one, even with a fever, so it didn't take me long to realize this is a little too gooey.  Whoops.  I remember that you add crackers to meatballs to help keep them together.  Right?  So I find some crackers.  I don't have any saltines so I add club crackers.  Yep!  Club crackers.  I mash together a ball, but it still doesn't feel firm enough.  I throw caution and care to the wind, and place it in the cast iron skillet (which I had heated with a little bacon grease and butter).  At the same time, I am making homemade french fries out of potatoes (sliced with the skin on), and frying them in bacon grease.  Yum! 

Well, I am flipping (very, very carefully) this burger pattie thing over.  It was just barely hanging together.  I cannot help but roll my eyes at myself.  This is just so typical of me.  As I began to believe (okay lets say hope) it was almost cooked all the way through (who could tell with all of that sauce in it).  I placed a piece of swiss cheese on it, waited for it to melt, and then very gently scooped it up and onto a bun.  I cut it in half, piled on my homemade fries to the side (with a side of my special ketchup/mayo mix), and realized that I was definitely going to have to eat this with a fork.  It looked like some sort of gourmet sloppy joe.  I am wondering what this is going to taste like as I finally put a bite into my mouth.  Wow!!! Unbelievable!!  It was SO good.  I took a picture of it.  Yep, I sure did.  It was so good that not only did I take a picture of it...I sent a photo to my little sister and told her that I might not be a great cook like her, but I was a great accidental chef. :) 

Gourmet Sloppy Joe, Homemade Fries & Heather's Special Ketchup/Mayo Sauce :)
I frankly cannot believe how yummy it was, and I tell you it happened all because I needed speed which resulted in fearlessness.  You just have to love the wonderful accidents that happen in your life.  Some believe in accidents.  Some believe in fate and destiny.  You know what I have come to know?  You don't know what you don't know.  This of course made me start pondering...

I love this quote from the end of the movie, "Eat Pray Love"...

"In the end, I’ve come to believe in something I call "The Physics of the Quest." A force in nature governed by laws as real as the laws of gravity. The rule of Quest Physics goes something like this: If you’re brave enough to leave behind everything familiar and comforting, which can be anything from your house to bitter, old resentments, and set out on a truth-seeking journey, either externally or internally, and if you are truly willing to regard everything that happens to you on that journey as a clue and if you accept everyone you meet along the way as a teacher and if you are prepared, most of all, to face and forgive some very difficult realities about yourself, then the truth will not be withheld from you."

God is everywhere around us.  We only have to acknowledge him.  I do believe that he sends people to us, in our path, to teach us and to guide us when we need it, when he needs us to learn something.  That free will.  Our free will.  It can be a blessing, a curse or both.  The time for taking our personal free will out for a joy ride to "see what this baby will do" has to be over before we can really start learning, start healing.  I am hoping and praying that someday I find my own personal truth.  For now, I am still searching...and healing. (small sigh with slight smile)

Now back to my cooking skills, or lack thereof, and my latest "accident".  All kidding aside, I am a good cook, but being a single girl who lives alone, it isn't like I have tons of opportunities to practice.  I am working on creating opportunities.  Who knows, I might just have me a clever name ~ The Accidental Chef.  Sounds like the name of a GREAT cookbook or a GREAT show on The Food Network.  I will definitely look into that once I can hold my own head up long enough to research it.  Right now I am typing with my head to the side., leaned back on a pillow  :(

My wish for everyone out there is to embrace your accidents, laugh at your weaknesses, pursue your dreams fearlessly, and most importantly seek your own personal truth.  I think you will be "glad" you did. :)

Sunshine Dreams to You ~ Today and Every Day! :)

Labels: , , , , , , , ,